VISION OF PURPOSE
Hamlin Collegiate ISD is dedicated to providing quality education for every student in our district. To achieve this goal of educating all students effectively, the campuses and parents must work together as partners. Neither home nor school can do the job alone. The goal is a school-home partnership that will help every student be successful.
The parent involvement program will be comprehensive and will include the following components of a successful parent involvement program:
• Communication between home and school is regular, two-way and meaningful • Parents play an integral role in assisting student learning
• Parent support and assistance are actively encouraged
• Parents are partners in the decisions that affect their children and families
• Community resources are made available to strengthen school programs, family practices, and student learning while encouraging participation of community-based organizations and businesses with parents and families
• Provide opportunities for parents to participate in school-related meetings and training
PARENT INVOLVEMENT POLICY DEVELOPMENT
Parents, community members, business members, and school staff will form a committee and meet to review the design and implementation of the Parental Involvement Plan. Hamlin Collegiate ISD will actively recruit participation through various avenues at the district and campus level. Meetings will be planned at convenient times and locations to meet the needs of participants. Campus wide meetings will be scheduled for two different times on two different dates to provide parents with the opportunity to attend when it is convenient for them to participate. Hamlin Collegiate ISD parents share the school’s commitment to the educational success of their children. Each Title I campus will establish programs and practices that enhance parent involvement and reflect the specific needs of its students and their families.
ANNUAL MEETING FOR TITLE I PARENTS
Each Title I campus will hold an annual Title I meeting, in the fall, to provide parents information regarding Title I guidelines. Parents will be provided information about school performance, individual student assessments to be administered, school curriculum, and title one funding designations and objectives. Copies of the campus's Parent Involvement Plan will be distributed and parents will be encouraged to become involved.
In accordance with Title I regulations, each campus, with parental input, will annually review and update a campus wide parent-student compact. The compact outlines how parents, teachers, and students will share responsibility for promoting high student achievement. Compacts will express the importance of ongoing and regular communications between the school and home.
Compacts are distributed to parents at the beginning of the school year primarily during parent -teacher conferences. Parents and students are encouraged to discuss the contents of the compact. A review and any necessary adjustments will be made to the compact in the spring semester prior to the upcoming school year.
TYPES OF PARENT INVOLVEMENT
Hamlin Collegiate ISD will assist each Title I campus in “building capacity” through parent involvement opportunities and support in implementing effective parental involvement strategies through coordination and funding to:
• Assist parents with interpreting state and local assessments to monitor their child’s progress
• Provide literacy training to help parents assist their children at home
• Coordinate and integrate to the extent feasible with other Federal, State and local programs, parent involvement activities in programs such as Pre-Kindergarten
• To the extent possible, see that information is sent home in a language and format that parents can understand
• Provide parental involvement activities as determined through evaluations and meetings with parents
• Adopt and implement “best practice” and model approaches to improve parent involvement
• Provide staff development on the value and importance of parent involvement and regular communications with parents, as equal stakeholders, to build partnerships between parents and the school
• Encourage parents to involve other parents in becoming involved with the school to enhance their participation in their student’s school experience
• Continue the district title one committee, which includes parent participation, to support and assist in determining ways to increase parental involvement across the district.
Parents will be kept informed through a variety of communication methods throughout the school year. Student handbooks, newsletters, district web page, social media, conferences, phone calls, emails, personal contacts and written notices are examples of some of the methods to be used to establish and maintain an open line of communication. The District and Campus Parental Involvement Plans will be posted to the Hamlin Collegiate ISD website.
We will evaluate the effectiveness of parent involvement initiatives and the level of responsiveness to parents’ concerns throughout the year. Each Spring Hamlin Collegiate ISD will conduct an annual evaluation of the District and Campus Parent Involvement Programs and determine necessary recommendations for improvement in the Parent Involvement Plan. Utilizing information and data from parent surveys and meetings, the district will determine any changes that need to be made to update its programs to accommodate, support and enhance true parent and family engagement in their students' education.